Re: [OM] long exposure vibration question and misc.

Subject: Re: [OM] long exposure vibration question and misc.
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:05:47 +0000
Michael Zimmet wrote:

> Ideally, I guess I should focus/compose/meter, then lock up the
> mirror, then trip the shutter with a cable release. (Right?)

The recommended procedure is to grip the camera with both hands while
tripping the shutter, since the mass of you hands and body will absorb
considerable vibration.

I would also hang a weight on the tripod to lower the center of gravity.
This connects the tripod more firmly with ground, further enhancing
vibration dampening.

Finally, find a wood tripod instead of aluminum. Wood absorbs vibration
much better than aluminum.

> Also, having started buying Olympus just this summer, I can't express
> how pleased I am to find just how much used OM stuff is out there,
> often in beautiful condition, and often at very low prices. I've
> purchased 4 lenses so far (28mm f/3.5, 35mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, and
> 135mm f/3.5), along with the OM-1n and some assorted accessories (lens
> hood, lens cases, etc.). Not one lens has cost me so much as $60.
> Okay, so they're not "fast glass." But they're excellent performers
> and I'm more than willing to trade a little lens speed for compact
> size and low price. And they all use the same 49mm filters, which is a
> nice bonus.

you're doomed. :)

--
"I have a dragon and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Dirk Wright