Re: [OM] OM-2n (Was: Tom Scales - Random observations about myphoto tre

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2n (Was: Tom Scales - Random observations about myphoto trek.)
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 04:58:31 -0700 (PDT)
> Finally, ("shields up Mr. Sulu!")I think that
> removable hot shoes are a
> stupid idea.  Almost every used shoe is cracked,
> because the installer
> has zealously over tightened the shoe.  Dealers
> strip off the shoe, so
> they can charge extra for it.  The removable shoe
> probably generated a
> lot of Bounce Grip 2 sales.  This would be okay,
> except Olympus forgot
> to install the TTL connector on the OM-2[n], forcing
> you to either
> install the ugly and weird-looking TTL
> autoconnector, or use a shoe with
> the TTL auto shoe cord.  The inventors of TTL flash
> could have made it a
> little easier to actually use a flash, without
> spending $50 extra on
> miserable little easy to lose gizmos.
>
> Bill, who is now pushing the "send" button, and
> waiting for the flames
> to shoot out of his monitor!
>
> Bill Stanke
> Moscow, Idaho
  No flames from me Bill. My comments about the smooth
lines of the OM without the shoe are influnced by the
fact that the only bobies I own are OM-1's so TTL
flash is not an issue. I like Vivitar's 283 but its
just too big to put on a flash shoe so mine goes on a
bracket. The flash/accessory shoe is an adaptation of
the original Leica accessory clip designed to hold
only viewfinders or Rangefinders, it really isn't up
to holding a flash of any real size. This is true for
most brands of cameras IMO. Of course you've got to
realise I'm kinda a contrary old fart who started out
with shooting flash with a (then new) Honeywell 770
and am still haveing are hard time getting use to the
newfangled GN's expressed @ ASA oops, I mean ISO 100.
I still find myself converting them to ISO 25 film
speed.   John Robison