Re: [OM] Impressa

Subject: Re: [OM] Impressa
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 08:28:26 -0500
[Joel W.]
Prints came back from Qualex very flat and ugly, but all came right
through the film scanner and Photoshop.

[John L.]
I've had film other than Impressa come back from them printed this
way.  Reprinted by a pro house looked much better.  One of them is some
Portra NC shot outdoors.  I'd be willing to bet Qualex doesn't have a
"channel" for Impressa on their machines.  Since they're wholely owned by
Kodak, they're not likely to ever have a channel for it.  (Last line is a
guess.)

There are different contrast grades of color paper depending on exactly
what they use for that too.  Might also have an effect.  I wonder at times
if they print low contrast because of the frequent exposure errors "Joe
Consumer" makes and low contrast printing helps cover it up (under exposure
from lack of enough flash comes to mind).

I exchanged some email with Ed Hamrick (VueScan owner/impresario/programmer) about Impresa 50. He speculated that the orange mask is unusual. There is a Kodak channel for it, at least among the profiles Ed supplies via Kodak (they have one for processing to photo disk). I've had decent Qualex prints of both Kodak and Fuji print films. As I now recall, the Impresa 50 I had processed by Kodak (which is still Qualex, of course, with fancier packaging and handling). I think it was probably a case where the locals in Cedar Rapids hadn't a clue and didn't care. I could have probably complained and had them done right, and should have. But the prints were proofs merely. What came out of the scanner was what concerned me.

Joel W.