[no subject]

From: David McGriffy <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:43:42 -0500
Howdy Y'all,

I'm new to this list.  You come highly recommended by Tom Scales, a fellow
Austinite.

My question is about a new lens for shooting the upcoming Reno Air Races. In the
past I have used my trusty OM-1 with a cheap 135mm and this works OK.  For the
last couple of years though, I have had the chance to hang out with the pro's at the
pylons and get the good angles, etc.  They mostly shoot old Nikons and new
Cannons with those huge lenses that make the camera look like an afterthought. Now, I will be carrying $15-20K worth of audio gear this year (mostly rented)(ask me about recording the sounds of air racing) but I can't afford to put that kind of money in to my camera gear. But I think I would like something a little longer.

Looking on e-bay I see a very strange looking 190-430 Zoom (it's 16 inches long!)
and a much more reasonable looking 85-200.  The 200 isn't quite as long as I'd
hoped but looks like a better lens.

I'm thinking that I'll end up with a zoom, but I'll certainly listen to other advice. My constraints are: probably no more than about $250, and I have to be able to get my
hands on it before I leave town on Sept. 7th.

Thanks in advance,
David McGriffy
david@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://mcgriffy.com/

--
"The universe is not only queerer than we imagine," wrote British scientist J.B.S.
Haldane,