Re: [OM] Iowa: more than corn

Subject: Re: [OM] Iowa: more than corn
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:31:27 +0000
John Pendley wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I know you folks in Iowa know how lucky you are, but it's no fair keeping
> your treasures a secret (:>}.  The current issue of Birds and Blooms
> magazine has a nice writeup on what looks like a beautiful butterfly
> garden.  It's On U.S. 52, just south of Bellevue, Iowa in Bellevue State
> Park (about 21 miles south of Dubuque).  I thought the rest of the list
> might like to know there's something in Iowa besides corn (and soy
> beans).  Who knows?  Somebody might even want to drop by the place and take
> some pictures.

One thing I can say about the Midwest that I wish I had was good soil.
The midwest has some of the nicest black soil that I have ever read
about. I on the East Coast however have to contend with hard clay soils.
When I went to plant that 7 foot tall tree, I had to take an axe to the
soil to loosen it up enough to dig it with shovel. All of my 200+ lbs
jumping on the shovel didn't do a thing to that soil.

--
"I have a dragon and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Dirk Wright