Re: [OM] Re: framing

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: framing
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:06:18 -0500
From: "Sue Pearce"

Except for the part about the Plexiglas (don't we have some diverging
opinions about this!), What Joel Said!
his plan for attaching the print to the backing, and adding the matte is
precisely the process used by museums and the like for valuable photos and
prints. also the part about cutting mattes. This can take a little practice.
[snip]

Glass is the ne plus ultra. I would never say plexi is superior to glass, but I find it easier to work with, much lighter, less dangerous, shippable, and no one has ever looked at anything I've framed with it and said, "Let me see, there's something wrong here." The relative benefits of plexiglas are not insignificant, but I would certainly agree that glass is better in an absolute sense. Actually, it's possible that for John's purposes using plexi might be viewed as crass. I'm sure glass is the museum standard and should probably be adhered to.

Joel W.