Re: [OM] Olympus on the Leica list

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus on the Leica list
From: Mark Langer <"mlanger@ccs"@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:52:34 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mlanger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Dear Mark Langer / John Hudson,
>
> In issue no.3 it talks of the 1st 35mm Olympus cameras, the Olympus 35,
> picture size 24x32mm, lens Zuiko 40/3.5, 4 elements in 3 groups, marketed as
> an early 'point and shoot' it says! Before or by 1948.
>
> 1948: the Olympus 35 I : 24x32 again.
> Soon after, the Olympus 35 II with Zuiko 40/2.8 (5 elements in 4 groups), an
> experimental camera but not marketed it says.
> Model III had a Seiko shutter with synchronisation mechanism built-in(?) and
> Model IV with Copal No.00 shutter.
>
> No mention of whether these lenses were interchangeable though!

Thanks, David.  I've opened up the back of the lens to clean out some
fungus that had grown on the front element of the rear doublet.  I assumed
that it was a Tessar-type, but now that I read this I'm looking again and
the reflection test does seem to suggest that there are three elements in
front of the diaphragm.  So it is possible that this is a 5 element lens
with a cemented rear doublet behind the aperture and three single elements
in front of it.  This would also make more sense, as there was a gap of a
few years between the discontinuation of the "Made in Occupied Japan"
embossed on the 4 cm f2.8 lens case, and the introduction of a 40mm f2.8
lens on the Olympus 35 Vb.

Any idea of the reason that the 5 element Zuiko 4cm f2.8 for the Olympus
35 II wasn't marketed?  Was it the price of producing the lens, or the
performance of the lens?

> I'll read these articles properly soon and send you an update!

Please do.  I look forward to reading more information about this.

Mark