Re: [OM] (OT) Icicle (Was How much film did you shoot? Was: OT Responses

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Icicle (Was How much film did you shoot? Was: OT Responses)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:42:32 EDT
In a message dated 8/16/01 2:23:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> I have slightly different memories of the Icicle.  My best friend was killed
>  there almost 15 years ago.

I recall hearing about that, Jim, as my sister and bro-in-law lived in
Leavenworth at the time, and we have always followed the news from the
valley, which is "home".  My sympathies, Jim.

Yes, it can be dangerous.  The Icicle  is ice cold water, fresh from glaciers
and snowfields.  The weather, being the Cascades, can change dramatically,
and quickly.  I climbed, hand over hand, into Victoria Lake, up on the side
of Mt. Cashmere, (where they are currently fighting a fire) on a nice sunny
day in early October.  Wasn't prepared for the freezing temps overnight.
Slept in my light summer sleeping bag, in a tent, fully clothed, but still
froze all night long.  Kept re-lighting my little candle lantern for some
heat.  Wasn't enough.  Scared myself, being all alone.

On another trip into the Klonaqua Lakes, in nice summer weather, we were
awakened in the middle of the night with a torrential downpour.  No tents, no
tarps.  Just packrat eaten plastic, left behind by other campers.  And
saltwater taffy.  Fish in a big iron skillet for breakfast though, after the
rainstorm passed.  But lesson learned.

Those who venture into the mountains, and mountain streams, HAVE to learn of
the dangers before going out. then respect those dangers, once out.  There
are preventable tragedies every year.

Rich (who always carries the 10 Essentials, and then some)