[OM] Galen Rowell on Olympus

Subject: [OM] Galen Rowell on Olympus
From: Adi Soon <adisoon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 05:39:59 +0800
Hi all,

has anyone seen the following excerpt from Galen Rowell's Outdoor Photographer column? The full article is available at

http://www.mountainlight.com/articles/op296.html

reminds me of something I read in a book about sports photography that recommended against Olympus OM because of their questionable durability. I think I was somewhat affected by such a statement. Went into my subconscious a long time ago.

--Adi

excerpt:
"This latter point helps answer an oft-asked question. If weight is so important to me in the wilds, why do I carry a Nikon N90s or F4 instead of a featherweight Canon Rebel X or Olympus OM-4? Because to have confidence that I can bring back the goods for myself or on a professional assignment I don't need to bring two of them.Of course I take an extra camera body on any long overseas trip, but on shorter,particapatory adventures where weight really counts- day trips near home or side excursions during exotic journeys- I want to carry just one camera I can trust.

After more than fifty foreign expeditions to the world's most remote regions, I have yet to have a problem significant enough to stop a Nikon N90 or F4 from giving me well-exposed pictures, while I have yet to lead a foreign photo trek where some other type of SLR didn't expire in the hands of a grief-stricken participant. I've seen many Olympus obituaries, a smattering of lower - end Nikon and Canon casualities, but virtually no full mortalities in top- end pro cameras. There must be exceptions that some readers will undoubtedly feel compelled to relate, but not enough to disprove the general rule that pro cameras give pros the dependability they pay for. "