Re: [OM] Under /overexposure again sorry

Subject: Re: [OM] Under /overexposure again sorry
From: Wayne S <shumaker_a_ma.ultranet.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:41:04 -0400
A technique John Lind once mentioned on this list using the OM-4t is to
adjust the aperture so the speed is around 1/60 - 1/15 with the flash in
OTF TTL. The camera will shoot at 1/60, giving a balance of ambient to
flash. This is one -OM-4T limited- approach to ambient/flash balance.
See John's appended emails below for more detail.

At 08:36 PM 8/17/2001 +0200, hnz wrote:

: There is no TTL/OTF flash control when in camera manual mode even
: with OM 4Ti???

> Unfortunately, no. This feature is only available in the OM-3Ti,
> where you can balance the available light / flash ratio by using the
> exposure compensation dial to change flash output and the shutter
> speed (in the range 1 ~ 1/60 sec) to change the influence of
> available light. If only Oly would be willing to upgrade the OM-4Ti
> to incorporate this feature...
> hnz

So, upgrading huh, here's a challenge: I've been toying with the idea
of replacing the controller in an OM-4t with one of the new 16 bit
micro-controllers from TI, that only takes 1uA of standby current. We
could retro-fit it into the existing low-light electronics of the 4t
and add the features we want. Here are some dream notes I made to a
fellow list member once on the subject of upgrading our OM's with the
new TI processor:

"Of course it would be limited by the existing mechanical hardware, but
adding rear curtain sync, or better flash control (such as allowing
shutter speeds less than 1/60 for fill flash), 1 second
mirror/diaphragm prefire, shutter speed and approximate aperture data
recording for later output through a serial interface to a pc {aperture
is known because the internal A/D measure the "relative" aperture ring
variable resistor, it may have to be user preset by selecting the lens
base aperture, I think. although maybe that is known also. Does the
aperture tab start in the same spot on all lenses or does it vary from
lens to lens?}. Once the new controller is integrated into the OM,
flash memory programming can be used to modify camera functioning, so
features may be tried out without having to even open the camera
(serial interface through the bottom plate contacts or maybe the flash
contacts). The display could be modified so that a moving dash could
indicate shutter speeds below 1 second (versus only the changing line
for >1sec). not only all that, but at a current drain lower than the
4t. the hilight and shadow buttons could be used for pre-setting
features, like the current frame count for data recording, setting
attached lens aperture or selecting custom options. If olympus is going
to drop the ball, somebody has to pick it up and carry the OM into the
21st century. .... ok back to work...."

Problem is, I don't know how to remove the existing controller on the
flex board without damaging the board. Any takers for such a project?