Re: [OM] Help For a Newbie..

Subject: Re: [OM] Help For a Newbie..
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 01:10:34 +0000
At 05:09 8/15/01, you wrote:
Please don't flame me if i ask a question you all might find stupid. I have an
OM10 with manual adapter, i have a 50mm/1.8, as well as a vivitar series 1
70-210/3.5 lens.  I see all these wonderful pictures of star trails and things
with people saying they are 30 minute, 50 minute exposures.. How do I keep the
shutter open that long to take a picture like that?  again i know it's a lame
question for most of you, but i am extremely new to cameras... thanks for the
help.

-Dan

Not a stupid question!
Equipment required:
1. Sturdy tripod; one with a quick-release plate you can attach to the bottom of the camera body is easier to use. 2. Cable release that can lock the plunger (usually with a knurled thumb-screw).
3.  Watch with sweep second hand, stopwatch or some other timer.

Basic procedure:
a.  Ensure you have fresh batteries in the camera.
b.  Mount the camera to the tripod.
c. Turn the switch under the base of the film speed dial from Auto (or Manual Adapter) to the "B" position ("B" = "Bulb"). In this position, as long as the shutter release button is depressed, the shutter stays open. d. Attach cable release by screwing it into the threaded hole in shutter release button (don't over tighten).
e.  Aim camera.
f. Actuate shutter by pressing the plunger on the cable release and lock it. Don't depress the plunger too forcefully. Enough to trip the shutter is sufficient!
g.  Simultaneously observe watch second hand, start stopwatch, or start timer.
h. When exposure time is up, unlock the cable release plunger to allow shutter to close.
i.  Wind on to next frame and set up for next exposure.
j.  When done, turn the switch back to "Auto" or "Manual Adapter" position!

-- John