Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs Zuiko 90 f2 Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs Zuiko 90 f2 Macro
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:02:46 -0700
Mike,

It's a great system overall. I pretty much use it exclusively with a
tripod. I typically shoot slow films (ASA 64-100) for most of my macro
work, which precludes hand holding. I have two tripods, one is a Bogen 3021
Pro W/med giotto ballhead. The other is a very compact slik I picked up
used, it is set up with the little mini bogen ball head. Both work with the
telescoping tube, the larger one is easier to use and more stable, but
heavier. If I am feeling extravagant (weight wise) I also bring a focusing
stage & rail. I also use the varimagni finder a lot, much easier on the
back when close to the ground!

With faster film and adequate light I think one could probably get decent
results hand holding. It is much easier to compose and focus with a tripod
though.

As for the overall system it works very well. I have never really paid all
that much attention, but I would say working distance is between 6-18"
depending on magnification. With the 65-116 tube the  lens will give you
from about 1/2 to just over life size magnifications. In some cases this
may be to much for larger flowers so I will sometimes use a standard auto
tube.

One thing that is intriguing about the 135 macro is that in addition to the
added working distance, you can work at lower magnifications as well.

I don't have size specs on the thing to compare with the 90, but I will try
to measure it later today and post those for comparison purposes.

Jim Couch

I wrote:

> > One idea
> > was to save weight and bulk over my standard setup which is the
> > telescoping tube w the 80/4 macro lens.

Mike replied: