Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs Zuiko 90 f2 Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs Zuiko 90 f2 Macro
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 07:26:34 -0700
Skip W. asks:

<< That's an interesting tidbit.  So 180-20%=144mm, 200-20%=160mm?  Do
you have anymore details on this?  I'm surprised that the 50 & 90 fall
into the same category. >>

Yup.  This info first showed up when Popular Photography was reporting
the actual focal length measured at the nearest focusing distance that
they tested.  That is when I knew I didn't really need to use a 40 or
35mm Zuiko for copy stand work, becuase my 50mm f/2 Zuiko was at or near
to it already (= 40mm at 1:2). They still report this loss of focal
length in the text on some recent lenses.

<< If you put a 50/2 or 90/2 on a bellows focused at infinity, would it
suffer from the same focal length reduction?  >>

No, it wouldn't.

<< Or is this a characteristic of the changes in relative positions of
the lens elements to accomplish close focusing in a helicoid design? >>

Exactly, the aberration correction system (floating elements) changes
focal length just like happens in internal focusing lenses and zooms. In
the case of the 50mm f/2 Macro Zuiko, its the front group distance from
the rest of the elements.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV