Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs Zuiko 90 f2 Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs Zuiko 90 f2 Macro
From: Simon E <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:39:55 +0100 (BST)
When choosing lenses the choices are usually simple. If you use a lens for work
you will obtain whatever is required for the task.

For anyone else with plenty of dosh (money) and/or no worries about weight and
bulk the 90mm is optically superb. For the many who are obliged to look at
cheaper options the 85mm, while not exactly a cheap lens, is more economically
viable and noticeably smaller and lighter.

For closeup work one could consider an iS-series close-up lens in 49mm or 55mm
thread. I use one with my 100mm f2.8 and will be trying it out on my
newly-acquired 85mm f2.

If you really are in a position to choose then you can probably afford the
90mm.  The two lenses serve different sectors of the market. The 100mm f2 is
more comparable to the 90mm.

I'm able to resist the lure of lenses like the 90mm, as I already grumble about
the weight of my OM kit, even though it's entirely made up of the slower Zuiko
prime lenses (50/1.8, f2.8 wideangles and the 100mm) and two slow zooms. Only
in dimly-lit live concerts do I feel disadvantaged by this arrangement and the
85mm is an attempt to solve it. However, it still takes the 49mm filter thread.

If you read books by the likes of John Shaw, Gordon Stainforth and Galen
Rowell, you will see a tripod is incredibly important. In such cases lens max
aperture is less critical.

To address Jim's question directly:
>I would like to pick up a 90 f2 and am wondering if I should sell my 85
f2

You can only really decide when you've used both. Buy the 90, compare the two,
then decide what you want to do with the 85.

Simon E.