Re: [OM] Astrophotography (Afterthoughts)

Subject: Re: [OM] Astrophotography (Afterthoughts)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:15:44 EDT
In a message dated 8/13/01 10:06:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> If you can get one with a red lens (military) it preserves night vision
>  much better than "white" light.  I have two.  One is the traditional olive
>  green with right angle head; takes two D cells.  The other is an aviation
>  penlight with a sliding button that puts a red lens over the bulb; takes
>  two AA cells.  The penlight comes in handy when counting off a timed
>  exposure because of its small spot.

Also consider the Maglite line of flashlights.  The small one that takes two
AA cells can be fitted with a red lens, among other accessories.  They are
strong, come with a spare bulb in the base, and go on sale cheap (about $8 to
$9 U.S.) around Christmas time.

I suppose a cheap route would be to put red gelatin/lexan/plastic over/inside
a standard flashlight lens.

Rich