Re: [OM] Astrophotography (Afterthoughts)

Subject: Re: [OM] Astrophotography (Afterthoughts)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:23:38 +0000
At 14:40 8/13/01, Chris O'Neill wrote:
3.  Check the batteries in the flashlight before heading out, and take
spares!  We managed to get through without a problem, but that
flashlight was getting darned dim by the time we were done.

If you can get one with a red lens (military) it preserves night vision much better than "white" light. I have two. One is the traditional olive green with right angle head; takes two D cells. The other is an aviation penlight with a sliding button that puts a red lens over the bulb; takes two AA cells. The penlight comes in handy when counting off a timed exposure because of its small spot.

6.  It doesn't matter whether it's a 10 second or 5 minute exposure, as
soon as you close the shutter the meteor will show up!  :-)))

Murphy's Law! Universally applicable to anything that has the remotest element of probability to it.

Anyway, like I said, it was a "howling" good time and we'll see if we got
any decent pictures out of it.  Thanks, again, to everyone who offered
suggestions and encouragement!

I too had an interesting time last night, in spite of not being able to get as far away from light pollution as I would have liked. Used an OM-1n on tripod with S/N>1M 50/1.4 MC. Also used an old Heliopan Wz (soft focus) filter for half the shots to see what it would do. Saw a half-dozen, maybe more meteors. It will be interesting to see how the Provia 100F turns out.

-- John