Re: [OM] e*Bay laugh...

Subject: Re: [OM] e*Bay laugh...
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 22:25:59 -0700
on 8/9/01 6:24 PM, Grant at GB1029@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I had a similar thing happen.  Not vulgar like yours though.
> It went something like this.
>
> bid was at $120 with 4 mins to go.
> Some bidder named dbman (or something)
> was winning.  I put in a $140 bid which did not
> top his high bid.  He sends me an email that says
> this:
>
> "Why?"
>
> Here's my reply:
> Why what?  Why are you not the only bidder on ebay?
>
> He then responded with "Chill out!"
>
> I don't mind another bidder sending me a message.  But
> he could have said something more than "why?" and "Chill out".  I'm glad I
> ran the bid up on that arrogant $%$#.

eBay's bids are proxy bids... is this guy saying that his upper limit was
more than he 'really' wanted to pay, and he resents you pushing the win up
towards his upper limit? That doesn't make any sense, but it also doesn't
surprise me! I bid what I'm willing to pay at the upper limit. Its nice if
it comes in lower, but that's not necessary for me to feel that I'm getting
an acceptable deal price. Anyone who bids higher than they really want to
pay deserves to get burned once at least, to teach them the lesson.
--

Jim Brokaw