[OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)

Subject: [OM] still not quite sure what I should take :-)
From: "johnsonpa" <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 19:15:02 -0500
Thanks so much for all the suggestions.  I need to answer a few
questions/reply to a few comments first:

Joel, I received an email from the volunteer coordinator in Kentucky chapter
of TNC detailing the job.  They were looking for people to get rid of the
rats, but they gave me this other job instead.  There will only be 16 people
on the island.  Therefore, I have to take everything that I will need.  So,
Ken, I won't be buying anything once I get there...getting away from
currency for 3 months should be interesting.  I do have a new idea for
getting more gear down there: paying other people to put a lens or two in
their bag :-)

Andrew, I don't think they will like it if I start feeding the birds.  I
have already heard a story about the boobies getting disoriented with the
lights one evening and taking over the mess tent.  They might already have a
taste for people food.

Olaf, you are quite correct about your Palmyra story.  Somebody actually
wrote a best selling book about the murder.  I have seen the same Discovery
Channel show, but it has been ages.  I think the name of the book is "And
the Sea Will Tell".

Rich, thanks for the advice on the ham radio.  I'm told there used to be an
island caretaker that would talk to people at 7:00 p.m. everyday when the
conditions were right.  There were also some ham radio guys that came down
and set up the current communications system on the island.  The only phones
are satellite phones.  We get to check email twice a week with the satellite
phone, so I'll have to unsubscribe from the list since I'm not volunteering
to pay for the $3.00/min. phone call to download emails.
Also, I was hoping to take my Glock 26 to help with the rats, but they are
providing wimpy .22 caliber pistols.  The routine will be to cut transects
on the island, set traps with poisonous bait, and shoot the rats if they are
not dead when checking the trap.  Fun...ehh?

Anyway, I gathered what I want to take and it totaled 20 lbs.  Yikes!  It's
time to start cutting the handle on my toothbrush!  I'm also trying to come
to terms with the fact that I can't take serious macro stuff and the tripod
will likely stay at home.  I think there will be room for the monopod.
Okay, so everybody says that I should take tons of film...but how much?  I
know, that all depends on my own shooting habits, available time, etc.
There are also other activities, in addition to killing rats and kissing
a**, like scuba diving, snorkeling, bone fishing, birding, etc.  So, when
you say 'lots of film', are you thinking 30, 50, or 100 rolls of film?

I've also heard a lot of talk about taking a 1 or 1n just in case the
batteries fail or the 4T can't take the humidity.  Nobody mentioned taking a
light meter.  Should I take one or just use Sunny-16 if I have to use a 1 or
1n without a meter?  Would it be about as good to risk it with the 4T and if
the meter fails then use the 1/60th mechanical setting?

Here is another question: Joel said to take split density filters.  I can't
say that I have much experience with filters.  I'm assuming he means that I
should use the Cokin 'P' filter or the Lee 4x4 filter holder.  Am I correct?
What does everyone think of the Cokin vs. Lee filter holders, aside from a
significant price difference?  I've looked at photo.net and browsed B&H, but
what are the best filters on a budget?  I'm guessing Lee, Sing-ray and
Hitech are the Cadillacs.

I guess that is enough for now.  Thanks to all for the help!
--p.j.