Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"

Subject: Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 12:27:10 -0700 (PDT)

#1 RULE:  DON'T TAKE ANYTHING YOU CAN PURCHASE THERE!

Take minimal clothing (just in case) and dollars to buy more.
Fortunately this is the middle of the Pacific, not the Artic so
you can get away with going half naked.  Leave the ties and
dress shirts home.  I would take good protective footwear if you
plan on spending time in the forests. (five pounds)

#2 RULE:  WEAR EVERYTHING YOU CAN ON THE AIRPLANE!

I know the flight is long, but you can wear both boxers and
briefs simultaneously.  Add a pair of shorts and pants and
that'll account for a good five pounds.  Use the restroom BEFORE
boarding the flight though... You can also wear a tank-top,
t-shirt, button down shirt (unbuttoned to look cool) and your
rain jacket/pants too.  Stuff every pocket with socks,
underwear, toothbrush/toothpaste and every other item that will
fit. Don't forget your hats.  (Total savings:  15-20 pounds)

#3 RULE:  SHAVE YOUR HEAD!

Leave the shampoo, combs, hairbrushs, moose, etc. home.

#4 RULE:  BUY A FISHING/PHOTOGRAPHER'S VEST

You can wear it on top of all the other layers and get much of
your kit in it.  It'll come in handy for trecking around anyway.

SO, there you have it folks.  Total available for camera gear:
40 pounds--not including the 15 pounds loaded in the vest.  You
can even slip in a tripod and the 350/2.8 now.

Ken N.