Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"

Subject: Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 09:07:12 EDT
Palmyra is one of the many far flung places around the world that my uncle
"works" with his ham radio from time to time.  Befriend the ham operator(s)
there, and you will be able to "patch" a phone call home when conditions are
right.  Free.

Palmyra is within the vast central Pacific area (Wake, Midway, Johnston,
etc.) covered by Joint Rescue Coordination Center, Honolulu (coordinated by
the Coast Guard, but includes Navy and Air Force personnel to coordinate
those services' resources, when needed).  That was my last duty station in
the CG.  I'd go back in heartbeat.  Interesting, rewarding work.  And a short
walk to the beach.

I second the advice about taking LOTS of film.  And a waterproof storage box
... for transport, mostly.  I wouldn't want to put a camera or lens in one of
those boxes in that humid heat for long after using it in that marine air,
but you may have no better alternative.  Salt air will get to the gear about
as much as fungus, I would think.  Anytime I went around the ocean (heck,
you'll never be far away from it) I would carefully wipe down the body, etc..
 If you're lucky, it will survive well enough that a good CLA will save it
when you get back.  If not, you're making the trip of a lifetime.  Would you
rather sacrifice a N*k*n?  Didn't think so.

You didn't say what your gear inventory now includes.  I would take my
28/2.8, 35/2, a 50, 85/2 (Tom said 90/2  -- I would, too, if I had one).  I
would think that would be an excellent lens for those fearless birds.  Or a
100...  or a 135...  A doubler sounds like a good idea.  Don't think I'd drag
along the 300/4.5.  Too heavy, too much to risk.

Go crazy, lay it all out, weigh it, then make the hard choices.

Underwater photography?  A Nikonos?  There are others.

Don't know what advice you've received about clothing, but wouldn't think
you'd need much.  I took a sport coat to Hawaii, and never wore it in two
years (too warm, even at 10 p.m., and dressing up in Hawaii means putting on
a clean Aloha shirt -- what would they possibly dress up for on Palmyra?).
Shorts, short-sleeve shirts, t-shirts,tank tops, "go-aheads" (zorries, flip
flops, "slippahs").  Maybe a sturdy pair of "Keds" for walking around the
crabs and coral (if you're gentle, it won't cut you; if you bump it, you
bleed).  And/or a couple pair of water shoes -- you know, those neoprene
jobs?  Several good hats.  Polarized sunglasses, of course.  Nothing else
comes close, around water.

Go to a dive shop and get good quality mask, snorkel, and fins.  Make sure
you can hold the mask on your face without the strap, by holding your breath.
 You want a perfect fit.  And make sure the fins are a good, comfortable fit.
 Snorkel with a t-shirt on, or you'll get a bad sunburn (you'll get one
anyway, but a t-shirt will help).

At night, the stars are going to absolutely knock you out there!

Can I be your substitute in case (God forbid) you can't make it?  That will
be an incredible experience!

Rich

P.S.  Rat eradication?  6" K .38 Smith & Wesson.  Wadcutters will do.  Oh,
wait.  That probably wouldn't fit with the Nature Conservancy philosophy,
would it?  Introduces lead...  Uh, a small crossbow?