RE: [OM] Tamron 90mm lens

Subject: RE: [OM] Tamron 90mm lens
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 19:56:57 -0500
I've owned a Tamron 90mm/2.5 macro lens, and agree that it is an outstanding
lens optically, giving up nothing in sharpness/contrast to a lens like the
Zuiko 90mm/2 - I liked mine a lot.

But, to get it to a good price point, they do compromise a bit on
construction compared to the Zuiko or Leica - on my example the focusing
helicoid had a tiny bit of slop, and of course the lens body is of
polycarbonate and not metal (though I understand an earlier Tamron did have
a metal body). There are other aspects too which are done less expensively.
These shortcuts usually won't keep you from getting the goods, though.

A Yugo will get you from Point A to Point B as effectively as a Mercedes 99%
of the time, but the experience is not going to be quite the same. You can
look at your camera gear in a similar fashion. Though I'm not about to shell
out $2800 for the Leica experience, I was able go for a $550 Zuiko to
replace my $150 Tamron, and I haven't regretted it. We all have differing
comfort zones.

Chip Stratton