Re: [OM] Tamron 90mm lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 90mm lens
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 14:21:11 -0700
I believe the f2.8 version goes to 1:1, and the lens has a few
compromises compared to the F2.5, perhaps to accomodate this. The f2.5
(about $175) goes down to 1:2 just like the extremely expensive Zuiko
comparable. (The Zuiko opening to f/2 not really justifying the price
difference. $450+ !!)

The Tamron 90mm f/2.5 is an extremely sharp lens, with a very good
reputation. Available with it is an extension tube that allows 1:1
reproduction. On the Tamron the extension tube does not include lens
elements.

Two other top notch 90mm macro lenses are worth considering, and perhaps
are a shade better. The Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 (about $160), and
the Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5. These also focus down to 1:2, and are both
made by Tokina with the same formulation. Accordingly, both are
available with matched extenders that include lens elements to keep the
resolution, abberations, etc. where they should be. As I've said in
money than all of these macros simply because its name is less famous.
(approx $150 with extender. I got mine for about $80 with case, so deals
can be found.)

Here are one set of tests on these lenses. There are other ways of
testing lenses out there, many subjective where one iota of a focusing
error, and the lens rates inferior. All do well, but the Tokina is at
the top. Out of the over 900 lenses they test on this site, the highest
rated came to 4.8 out of a possible 5 (a Canon lens - they explain the
ratings at the site).   The Tokina is at 4.6. I love mine. :)

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/detail/TaSP90_25macro-834.shtml
(Tamron SP)

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/detail/ToAT-X90_25macro-855.shtml
(Tokina AT-X)

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/detail/Ol90_2macro-916.shtml
(Olympus)

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/detail/Vi105_25MacroSeries-874.shtml
 (Vivitar Series 1- its their newer 105mm version. Not really the same)

Larry

And what a bargain considering that the inferior Leica R 100/macro sells for $2800. How do those 3d party guys do it? ;-)
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California