[OM] Tom Scales bashing - you all should be ashamed!

Subject: [OM] Tom Scales bashing - you all should be ashamed!
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 23:50:43 -0700
on 8/1/01 7:13 PM, Tom Scales at tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm confused.  What does the size of my collection have to do with anything.
> I'd bet $100 I have less invested in my entire collection than you do, Oben.
> Just like you've offered things to the list and been proud of your 'finds',
> so am I.  I'm not a dealer, never have been, never will.  I enjoy 'flowing
> the equipment' through my fingertips and, sometimes, allowing list members
> to benefit by buying pieces of equipment from larger collections at prices
> they will not find anywhere else.
>
> You make it sound like I am doing something wrong!  If I wanted to really
> make a living at this, I'd buy these kits for a lot less. I think list
> members that have sold me their collections will attest that I offered a
> price well above KEH or Adorama, as my goal isn't to make money, just cover
> my expenses. I try to be fair and recognize the value to them, not just the
> value on the street.  I spend more time coaching people on how to sell to
> maximize THERE profit than I do trying to maximize mine.  I sure lose out on
> the amount of time I invest.
>
> So my philosophy seems to be buy high, sell low.  Not much of a profit
> motive there.

small snip

> I'll just sell the stuff on ebay.
>
> Tom

I've spent a fair amount of time and money around e*ay the last year or
so... and if Tom puts his stuff out there with a BIN exactly as his 'member'
prices it won't last a second. You guys are blowing a great deal, from
someone who doesn't have to do this sort of thing at all...

I've read some incredibly petty posts from adults who should know better. If
e*ay is the worldwide market that sets the value of the items, then Tom's
selling well below market to us. That's good for us, bad for Tom, and the
only reason I can conceive he would do that is that he feels some desire to
keep the good stuff in the hands of those who will cherish and appreciate
it.

On e*ay you don't know who winds up with something, but its a bet its
sometimes going to be someone with more cash than brains. The smart people
are those who appreciate someone who's more interested in sharing the good
finds with friends than in maximizing profit from every transaction.
--

Jim Brokaw