Re: [OM] travelling to cuba (u.s. citizen...)

Subject: Re: [OM] travelling to cuba (u.s. citizen...)
From: Bernd Möller <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 00:55:04 +0200
Hi,

> I have also heard that you
> can bung a customs official $20 or so (in Cuba) and
> they won't stamp your passport, a useful tip?

When I travelled to Cuba in 1997 I found that the Cuban customs authorities
stamped the passport with a funny stamp saying "bank" and something else
unidentifiable. This was meant to allow me to travel to the US even after I
have been to Cuba, where spent some money (and thereby committed a crime in a
US american viewpoint) and enjoyed a very close look at a deteriorating country
under the pressure of US embargoes, the fall of the USSR and so on.

I received the stamp together with a removable piece of paper, although I am a
German citizen. Very kind, those Cuban customs - my passport caused no trouble
when I entered the US two years after that. And I paid no extra fees for that.

Regards

Bernd