Re: [OM] travelling to cuba (u.s. citizen...)

Subject: Re: [OM] travelling to cuba (u.s. citizen...)
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 20:44:14 +0100
Yes, I would love to visit Cuba sometime.  Soon I will have time to
do so, but my wife and I have to agree on where to go and she would
rather visit the beautiful NW... well I would as well I suppose.
Sigh, so many places, so little time/money ;-).

I wanted to fly down in a little F16 from MacDill AFB (Tampa) to pose
with a static display in Puerto Rico, but I did not have the fuel to
get there since I would have had to go around Cuba, rather than land
and refuel (there would be no tanker available).  In my naivete I did
not realise that Cuba was still off limits (in 1989).

Chris

I read an article on the net about the fact Bush is
trying to clamp down on US citizens travelling to
Cuba, enforcing the $7500 fine you may have to pay if
they find out, apparently I have also heard that you
can bung a customs official $20 or so (in Cuba) and
they won't stamp your passport, a useful tip?
Its funny how Americans (I'm English) describe the US
as the land of the free, restricting someones travel
around the world seems to be something that China
would do?

Chris