Re: [OM] Virus Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Virus Advice
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:32:29 +0200
: I tried to find an option in IE or OE for making attachments automatically
: open and I couldn't find one.  Would not be a good idea if there was such
an
: option.

You're right - there isn't. Attachment viruses only spread because people
actively open them.
But attachments are not the only kind of executable code that can be sent
with email. HTML formatted emails can contain scripts and ActiveX
executables that can also do nasty things. JavaScript commands in HTML
emails can for instance automatically direct you to sites you don't want to
visit. JavaScript can't access you harddisk. Nastier can be emails that
contain Visual Basic scripts or ActiveX components. These have full access
to your hd.

OE's default setting is to allow JavaScript, Basic Script and ActiveX
components...

To disable, select Extra/Options/Security, select sites with restricted
access.
Then, in MSIE, select Extra/Options/Security/Sites with resticted access,
press the modify button, and disable any kind of scripting.

hnz