Re: [OM] opinions of short Olympus teles

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions of short Olympus teles
From: "W.Xato" <xato0@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:01:11 -0700 (PDT)
Gary, my 85/2 sn 105406 (pretty early) doesn't seem to
have a floating element. The whole unit moves back and
forth just like any other lens. There's nothing that
looks like a differential rate of element movement as
I focus the lens. As I understand it a "floating
element" isn't really a floating element which moves
at a different rate than the main lens elements but is
fixed so that the rest of the elements move in
relationship to that "floating element."  In any event
that's how they were originally designed as you could
have the benefits of a floating element without having
two focusing helicoids or the complicated cams that
all zooms now have.

Warren

--- Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have yet to see a primary source reference which
> says that there was
> an early, non-floating element version.  Where was
> this information
> published - anyone really know?  Is the source
> reliable?  All my early
> books which discuss the F.Zuiko version cite
> floating elements.
>
> The number of elements was changed at the time the
> MC version came out.
>
> Morgan: I will get back to you, re: your lens test
> e-mail.
>
> Gary Reese
> Las Vegas, NV

> List >