Re: [OM] opinions of short Olympus teles

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions of short Olympus teles
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:05:34 -0400
Cc: zbturon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Re the 85/2 and its design:

http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/zuiko.html#tele says the 85/2 MC has the Floating Element correction.

The eSIF at http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif/lensgroup/85mmf2.htm says of the 85/2: "It incorporates a floating element group for the first time in the world for a telephoto, ensuring superior image quality even at close distances."

An OM System Brochure from January 1987 lists the following lenses as having "automatic correction mechanism agains close distance abberations"
18/3,5
21/2,0
24/2,0
28/2,0
50/2 Macro
50/3.5 Macro
85/2
100/2,0
(The 90/2 Macro is not listed as having this mechanism.)

So my vote would be that the 85/2 DOES HAVE the floating element, at least in MC guise. I don't have an early Zuiko brochure in front of me, could someone check an early 80's brochure for the same sort of language?

The surprise to me is that the vaunted 90/2 Macro doesn't have the floating element correction. Perhaps it's corrected for close-up distances already? So it doesn't need the FE? But why would the two 50 Macro lenses need such a device? Are 50's corrected more for infinity, even in the case of the Macro lenses?

Skip

****** I M P O R T A N T   R E P L Y   I N F O ************
Please adddress ALL offlist messages to skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx

This email address is ONLY used for this mailing list subscription and posting purposes. I read the list via Hotmail.com or the web-based archives to keep the traffing down on my email account.

I will probably not notice any private messages addressed to this HOtmail.com email address.