Re: [OM] (Fwd) Olympus OM-4 on Ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) Olympus OM-4 on Ebay
From: "Malcolm Clay" <zuiko@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 06:05:28 -0500
> ------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
> From: "Kayla B. Sunrea" <forkayla@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> ...and still own an old Zenit EM that I purchased about 20 years
> ago. still works!  I'm now looking for a better camera and following my
> friend's suggestion I've narrowed my search to an Olympus OM-4.

Always curious about cameras I haven't heard of before, I didn't really know
what a Zenit EM was, but found some information about it:

Shutter: 1/30-1/500, B (cloth, horizontal)
Flash: switchable X/F sync, hot shoe, sync at 1/30
Metering: uncoupled selenium meter
Finder: microprism spot and ground glass collar in Freshnel
Instant return mirror
auto diaphragm
Self timer
(Photo: http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~aab900/photography/cameras/zenit-em.jpg)

Made by the  Krasnogorsk Mechanical Factory (Krasnogorskii Mechanicheskii
Zavod - KMZ) and at Belorussia Optico-Mechanical Factory (BelOMO).  KMK
still makes cameras http://www.zenit-foto.ru/english/start.htm

My eBay advice would be:
    Check out the seller's rating--I look at both buying and selling
feedback.
    If they don't list a return policy, email them and find out if you can
return the camera if there are problems not listed in the auction write-up.
    Email them and ask when the last time the camera was used. Did the
prints or slides turn out okay? Does it have a light leak? Meter works.
etc., fungus, battery corrosion, foam rot, etc. If they don't reply, skip
the auction and find another.

and my BEST eBay advice is:
   Buy one from a list member. There are some members who sell stuff from
time-to-time. Not that people who sell on eBay are untrustworthy -- just
that the folks on this list generally KNOW what they are selling.

Question to the list:
     Aren't some of the 4's subject to battery drain? Was it just the 4's or
4-T's?