Re: [OM] Mirror lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror lenses
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 09:15:04 -0700
Andrew:

Only an instruction sheet with a catadioptric (mirror) lens can tell you
for sure if it requires a "filter" in the optical path.  But it is
commonly encountered in telephoto and catadioptric lens designs with
drop in filters.  The Tamron filters screw into the rear of the Tamron
SP catadioptric lens, so their need would be less obvious and I can't
say for sure on those.

The need for a filter can be a pain in the butt with used equipment. I'm
waiting on a neutral drop-in filter for a Minolta AF 500mm f/8, before I
can sell it.  I also ordered a ND2X filter, which Minolta USA indicated
was one of only two in stock and not to be replenished.  Not a good sign
for a lens still in production!

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV