Re: [OM] [OT]WAS ALERT, NOW Snake Identification

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT]WAS ALERT, NOW Snake Identification
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 20:23:13 -0500
Terry and Tracey wrote:

> What is the bite treatment in the US? From what I've heard it is very
> different to Australia.
> Some camera stuff. A mate from the US was out here a few years ago, and told
> us of a great photo he took (35mm lens, so he had to get close) of this
> banded snake from about 18". It was a tiger snake. Everyone in the group
> sort of shivered a bit, then we told him about luck.
>
> Foxy

The venomous snakes in North America, except for the coral snake, and
some really small rear fanged snakes that couldn't bite your pinkie even
with help, are crotalid pit vipers.  The toxins cause blood cells to
hemolyze and cause tissue necrosis.  Treatment is with anti-venom and
fasciotomy if the swelling gets too bad.  Local debridement of necrotic
tissue may be necessary for a really bad bite.  A lot of the bites are
"dry bites" with no venom injected but even the nasty bites are usually
non-lethal, the victim just wishes he would die.  The Mojave rattlesnake
is an exception.  Its venom is very neurotoxic, more like the Oz smakes
and it is very dangerous.  Coral snake bites are treated like your
snakes with antivenom and clinical support.

I do have a nice picture of a coiled Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth) with
the mouth open in threat display.  Only I used the 135mm lense and
wished it was longer.

Jerry Liles