Re: [OM] [OT]WAS ALERT, NOW Snake Identification

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT]WAS ALERT, NOW Snake Identification
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:09:22 EDT
In a message dated 7/13/01 12:57:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time, oben@xxxxxxxxx
writes:

> The recommendation for snake bites is to wrap lightly but firmly the
>  affected limb with material or gauze. The venom spreads into the
>  circulation via the lymphatic system which is very superficial in the
>  subcutaneous tissues. This treatment is able to limit the spread of venom
>  via lymphatics. The common misconception of using a tourniquet to tie off
>  the circulation in the mistaken belief it spreads via the circulating
blood
>  is wrong. So is the practice of cutting into the wound and sucking out the
>  venom. The venom has proteolytic enzymes that ensure a very quick
>  penetration into the tissues so that attempting to suck venom from the
>  wound is futile.

Thanks, Oben.  Might not seem "On Topic", but many of us are
outdoorsmen/women.  Even photographers get into the "wild".  Most of my
relatives are hunters/fishermen/hikers/campers.  WA state isn't like "Oz", or
even Texas, w/regards to poisonous snakes, but we do have the western
diamondback rattlesnake, from the east slopes of the Cascade Mountains all
the way to Idaho.  Near where I grew up in N. Central WA (Peshastin end of
Blewett Pass, for you locals), they grow as big as your arm and up to seven
feet long.  That's a lotta venom.  One of my dads co-workers & hunting
partners had one strike just past his face from a tree!  That would have been
potentially fatal, I presume?

Rich