Re: [OM] Bottom plate on my new OM-PC...

Subject: Re: [OM] Bottom plate on my new OM-PC...
From: "Chris O'Neill" <chris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 21:41:09 -0600
On 12 Jul 2001, at 22:23, Curtis P. Hedman wrote:

> Just received an OM-PC...

[Snip!]

> ...I notice that the
> bottom plate or cover seems to "oil can" a little - it makes a slight
> "ticking" sound when pressed lightly.

[Snip!]

> ....is this normal for the OM-PC, or do I have a problem waiting to
> leap out at me (or my son, who is to be the recipient of this camera
> once I check it out)?

My recently-CLA'd OM-PC doesn't have a "oil can" click or "give" when I
press on the bottom plate, so you *might* have a developing problem.
John, Clint, or one of the other folks knowledgeable 'bout problem
diagnosis and repair might be able to give you more reliable info than I.

> I suspect I may have paid a little too much for this camera, if Tom Scales
> earlier comment (OM-G's for about $50, OM-PC's for about $75) is a good
> guideline.  I paid $135 for the OM-PC, 50mm f1.8 (MC), and a Sunpak 433D
> flash with Olympus module.... not exactly a T-32, but a very interesting
> flash, at least at first glance!

I have a little over $110 in that camera, including a complete overhaul
and CLA, and I consider that a "reasonable" cost because it's
operationally "like new."  WIthout looking at my data, I'd say Tom's
estimate "values" for *Bay are reasonable for one in "decent" shape.
Again, other more knowledgeale folks (like Gary) might have better info.

> Incidentally the son is 27, just wrapping up his PhD in Physics at
> Princeton...

My heartiest congratulations to your son!  Getting a PhD in anything
takes alot of dedication and effort.  Getting one in physics probably
takes pure b*lls!  :-)))

Hope that's helpful...

Regards,

Chris