Re: [OM] Panic ! Heart attack !

Subject: Re: [OM] Panic ! Heart attack !
From: Peter Leyssens <leyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 21:14:16 +0100
JezCunningham knowledgfully expressed himself in the following manner :
> You said you are scanning the slides on a flat bed - that means you have
> one of those triangular pyramid mirror gizmos to reflect the scanner lamp
> light up, around the slide, and back down through it to the photodetector?

According to my sister that "describes it quite accurately" :-)

> So could it be a spurious reflection in that light path?

It's quite certain by now that it's something to do with the scanning
process, since re-scanning put the marks in different places.

One other possibility is the following.  Since we're using one of those
"triangular pyramid mirror gizmos" (TPMG), we'd expect the light to come
from above and to be stopped by the speck of dust.  However, there's still
light coming from below, as with the regular flatbed scanning process.  So
the dust will also reflect the light.

Now, since the TPMG will reflect almost 1000f the light, and the dust
will probably not, the dust should be grayish.  But if we add Garth's
suggestion that the speck might be transparent (i.e. a little hair is
transparent
& a bit reflective), then it'll definitely be white.

I'll stick to this explanation, until I get the chance to see my slides on a
BIG screen.

> Get a proper film scanner!

Why ?  I know people who can do it for me :-)

Peter.