[OM] Ode to OM-2

Subject: [OM] Ode to OM-2
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:00:03 EDT
In a message dated 7/11/01 9:47:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
litefoot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< Hi Susan
  What is it in the OM 2 that stole your heart?>>

Ah, Clemente..not an easy question to answer...

Unlike a lot of you, I never knew anyone that had an Olympus nor had I ever
even SEEN an Olympus camera before I bought mine. In my small town in
Virginia the only brands I had ever seen in use were Yashica and Leica...and
in college I saw Canon and Pentax, but could only afford a Mamiya/Sekor
DTL500...a heavy lug of a basic manual that came in a kit from
JCPenney...good enuf camera, but the lens left a whole lot to be desired.
Served as a good "learner", and I still have it, but I never get it out and
use it out of sentimentality. (You'd all goran if you knew what I paid for
that camera..plus, I, as a scholarship student, paid for it over a loooooong
time..so with interest it cost FAR more than my OM2!!)

I'm a "researcher-purchaser"..and was even back then. I found every photo
magazine I could get my hands on and read all the specs and reviews
(everything from Pop Photography to Consumer Reports), went to several  Army
PX's to view them in person (a luxury I would not have today), and really
took my time making up my mind. I only knew I did not like the
Mamiya/Sekor..so many pictures were vignetting and my hub's 110 pics from a
cheap camera were coming out clearer than mine...kinda tells you something!
The Olympus became a contender the minute I saw it and pretty much stayed at
the top of the list, even tho I would go off on a tangent temporarily and
consider a Pentax or Nikon...but the OM still pulled me back. The same
happened 18 mos. later when I shopped the OM2...from the moment I held it and
played with it in the PX I could not get it out of my mind..it was as if a
demon had taken root and I dreamed, ate, and slept it for a month. (BTW, the
OM-1 never affected me the same...I always loved and respected it, but the
lust factor was much lower). I liked everything about the OM-2..the large
size that the lens system had by then grown to, the sleek look of the black
body, and, most importantly, the "feel" of the body w/lens in my hand. Over
the years I have been asked repeatedly why I chose the Olympus (mostly by
Canon owners) and it is a very hard emotion to describe, because the entire
packaging and design is so superior in so many ways.

I know that all of you who read this know this already and don't need
convincing. Just as we are all so delighted when we get a pair of glasses
that fits perfectly and allows great vision, or a really wonderfully-fitting
pair of shoes, or a car that is "made" for our bodies (I would use the
analogy of a great-fitting bra but I doubt this group would understand OR
appreciate...), the OM-2 gives me that kind of satisfaction. I have carried
it all over the world and can personally attest to how rugged they are as I
have at times treated mine in a rough fashion. When carrying it I don't have
to ever stop and "think" about how to adjust or use the camera, and it's been
that way from Day One. I have never felt that way about the OM-4T...and,
after 18 months of using and really appreciating the OM-4T, I don't think it
will ever feel as good to me as the OM-2. Even with no spot meter, I'll take
the feel, weight, and features of the OM-2...in black, please.

<violins up....>

I read once that most human beings generally have only one true love in their
lives, and if extremely lucky will have a second. I don't this holds true of
cameras. I think there is One True Clicker for us all. I think my OM-2 is
"The One".

<violins fade...>

Susan
who's gonna go find her OM-2 and pat it...

Susan Steele
Virginia USA