[OM] mirror lens and #1-7 screen

Subject: [OM] mirror lens and #1-7 screen
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:58:32 -0700
I bought a Celestron 300/5.6 mirror lens because it is very compact. A
T-mount, but since it doesn't change aperture anyway this is fine. Realizing
that the 5.6 aperture is likely to be dim I got a #1-7 screen, which is for
telephoto and slow lenses. I put this screen in my OM-4 to use at a
motorcycle race with the 300...

With the 300 mirror lens, the viewfinder is almost unusable. The image is
severely vignetted, resulting in a circular image about 1/3 of the screen
width only in the middle of the finder. The microprisms are blacked out, and
the fresnel is very visible.

I tried the 1-7 screen in the OM-4 with my Olympus 300/4.5 lens, and it
works without any problems... The Olympus 300 is too heavy to pan with the
motorcycles, but I may have to use it. The 1-7 screen works with the Olympus
500/8.0 mirror, although a slight darkening in the corners is noticable. It
would still be usable.

Anyone have knowledge why this screen won't work with the Celestron 300? I
like the small size of the lens, and it is acceptably sharp for what it
cost, but the view is dim for focusing on the 'normal' screens. Are there
other brighter screens that would be better?
--

Jim Brokaw