Re: [OM] Push or Pull

Subject: Re: [OM] Push or Pull
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 00:22:30 +0000
At 04:20 7/11/01, Garth Wood wrote:
At 02:15 PM 7/11/2001 +1000, you wrote:
Can someone clear my mind on pushing and pulling film.
Is it true that underexposing slightly or pushing slide film gives better results i.e. more colour saturation/definition in shadow areas, and that overexposing or pulling print/negative film is better?

Not necessarily.

20 years ago, I used to underexpose Kodachrome by about 1/3 stop to increase the saturation. I still do this from time to time with Kodachrome. However, the more modern E-6 emulsions don't need this treatment. And Kodachrome doesn't *require* it, either -- to my eye, it still seems good at recommended exposures.

On my last roll of film (colour negative) I actually pushed the film one stop and forgot to mention it to the lab. The prints however have come out very well, so it makes me think that slight overexposure on print film is not always the best thing to do!

Negative film has a much greater latitude than transparency film. That's why you can get away with under- or over-exposures with it in situations where doing the same thing to transparency film would stuff up the shot. Negs have so much latitude, in fact, that frequently you can use Sunny 16 with great success.

Garth

In addition to the good response Garth has written . . .
If you are in doubt about exposure, err on the side of overexposure with negative films, and err on the side of *slight* underexposure with transparency. If you are off (guessed incorrectly), this leaves a slightly thicker emulsion which is easier to "burn through" making a print from it than a thin emulsion which has complete loss of detail in the highlights. You get away with this more easily with negative films (wider latitude) than with transparency (less forgiving of error).

-- John