Re: [OM] Push or Pull

Subject: Re: [OM] Push or Pull
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:20:22 -0600
At 02:15 PM 7/11/2001 +1000, you wrote:
>Can someone clear my mind on pushing and pulling film.
>Is it true that underexposing slightly or pushing slide film gives better
>results i.e. more colour saturation/definition in shadow areas, and that
>overexposing or pulling print/negative film is better?

Not necessarily.

20 years ago, I used to underexpose Kodachrome by about 1/3 stop to increase
the saturation.  I still do this from time to time with Kodachrome.  However,
the more modern E-6 emulsions don't need this treatment.  And Kodachrome
doesn't *require* it, either -- to my eye, it still seems good at recommended
exposures.

>On my last roll of film (colour negative) I actually pushed the film one stop
>and forgot to mention it to the lab. The prints however have come out very
>well, so it makes me think that slight overexposure on print film is not
>always the best thing to do!

Negative film has a much greater latitude than transparency film.  That's why
you can get away with under- or over-exposures with it in situations where
doing the same thing to transparency film would stuff up the shot.  Negs have
so much latitude, in fact, that frequently you can use Sunny 16 with great
success.

Garth