Re: [OM] setting diopter on OM-3(Ti) or OM-4(Ti)

Subject: Re: [OM] setting diopter on OM-3(Ti) or OM-4(Ti)
From: "c.e.packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 22:27:34 -0500
johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anyone have some good advice on setting the diopter on an OM-3(Ti) or
> OM-4(Ti)?
> My technique is to take the lens off the body, look at a light source and
> spin the diopter adjustment wheel until the focusing screen comes into
> focus.  The problem is that, with the exception of the extremes, I can focus
> on the screen at any setting.  I even tried using a series 1 screen instead
> of the series 2, so I could see more detail in the focusing screen.  That
> didn't help, and I just can't tell whether I have it right or not.
> Also, only my black 4T has a mark on the dial, so I can't even compare the
> settings on my various bodies.
> Anybody have difficulty with this?

p.j,
According to the manual you're doing it correctly. (see below)
I had the same difficulty. It was hard to tell if my eye were refocusing
to compensate. I can only suggest that you relax your eyes. Try
pretending you are focusing with a lens on the body. Instead of turning
a lens' focusing ring, you're turning the diopter adjustment knob.
This technique worked for me.

The manual describes adjusting the diopter this way.
1) Remove the body cap.
2) Pull out the diopter adjustment knob.
3) Turn and adjust the knob until the matscreen appears sharp.
4) Push the knob back in until it locks.

-Charles Packard