Re: [OM] Question from Interview with Maitani

Subject: Re: [OM] Question from Interview with Maitani
From: "Malcolm Clay" <zuiko@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:35:04 -0500
----- Original Message -----
 <snip>.... Then I decided that the weight and volume should be half that of
an ordinary SLR, with a 30ut in dimensions.

The compact size/weight of the OM1 was certainly a factor in my purchasing
decision back in the late 70's -- that and the location of the shutter speed
dial. The interview translation jogged my memory about the compactness. It
seems that only Pen*ax had a small body camera at the time which compared in
size. (I could very well be wrong, hazy memory.) I certainly do remember the
bulk size/weight of several of the other cameras available then.

Now my question. What was the best selling 35 SLR model of the time of the
introduction of the OM1? I am more interested in the "consumer" level not
the pro models -- something that would have been in direct competition for
the OM dollar.

In today's electronic wonderbrick era, the (true) engineering marvel of
Olympus and Mr. Maitani is lost on many outsiders. I was thinking it might
be interesting to purchase the OM's most popular rival off of eBay to have a
comparison on the shelf.

Thank you for the translation of the interview! For every thanks you get, I
am sure there are many more list members who enjoyed reading it.