Re: [OM] Question from Interview with Maitani

Subject: Re: [OM] Question from Interview with Maitani
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 18:10:33 +0000
The AE-1 was the first of the "A" series, introduced in April, 1976. The AE-1 Program was introduced in April 1981 as the AE-1's successor. The A-1 was the top of the line for the "A" series, introduced in April 1978. This line of bodies also included the AT-1, AV-1 and AL-1 (introduced in various years) as variants of the original AE-1.

I believe production continued into the mid-1980's until the "T" series displaced them. This is a little like comparing apples to oranges. The professional grade Canon was the F-1 introduced in March 1971, a number of years prior to the AE-1 which is a consumer grade (albeit higher end) body. This does not diminish the fact they are workhorses. There are quite a few AE-1[P] bodies around still making photographs (two of my cousins have the AE-1). Having handled a friend's AE-1P, it falls between an OM-PC and an OM-2S in ruggedness, probably closer to the OM-PC.

-- John