Re: [OM] OT Tallest tree

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Tallest tree
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 17:40:30 +0100
Happy Independence day indeed, you ingrates.
:>).

No Andrew, I would allow them to retain their non-metric systems ...
as long as they went fully Imperial and got rid of those *tiny*
gallons and quarts. :>)

Have a good one anyway...

Chris

From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Just the use of the year as we know it (2001), which is derived from
the birth of Christ, could be seen by a few nutters as not "PC".
WGAF?Here in Indonesia, which is about 90% Muslim, the Christian year
is always used in dates, although the Muslim year is often included,
too, in anything relating to religion. Nobody seems to get upset - I
think they've all gotten over it by now. Seems a mature attitude to me!
:-)
Regards,

Reckon we can use the same logic to persuade the States to go metric? :)
AndrewF

Now now now, Andrew, no international incidents please. <g> What is
special appeal of metric exclusivity? We learn and use both metric
and English systems. Science is entirely metric, and in any case
conversion between them is easy, with the possible exception of
weights.  (OK, farenheit sucks, I give you that. It's unspellable
for one thing.)

But must there be no bourbon because there is scotch?

When metric is as useful as feet for calculating fill flash, I'll
switch entirely. Unless there's a 5-4 decision from the Supreme
Court beforehand ...

Happy Independence Day to whom it is meaningful, and cheers to all,

Joel W.