Re: [OM] 357 batteries -- differences by brand?

Subject: Re: [OM] 357 batteries -- differences by brand?
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 22:36:40 EDT
Cc: jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx
jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Which was the point of my question. Yes, 357's are the way to go, but is a
 357 a 357 a 357 .. regardless of brand?  I'm thinking probably so, and
 inclining toward the Sony's, which is usually a reliable marque.

 Joel W.

Joel,
         although I have just been talking to some battery vendors technical
depts (see my recent post on 357 obscure trivia) I still can't truly answer
this question but it does appear that at least in some cases the vendors have
increased the sealing quality of the cells. This greatly improves shelf life
(>10yrs) and makes it less likely that they will leak potassium hydroxide
onto your expensive camera!  Some battery vendors do not actually make the
AgO cells themselves. I believe this may be true for Duracell for example
(disclaimer: I have not verified with them). If you look at available
published specifications on cell capacity they vary from about 165mAh for
Duracell,through 175mA for Energizer to 180mAh for Varta, Does this mean that
Varta are best ?? The answer is not necessarily, since in OM camera use what
counts is cell resistance when partially discharged. The lowest resistance
value will generally give best life to power the higher pulse current of the
shutter, particularly in longer exposure use.
          Sony does not give much information on their battery website and I
was not able to even get tech support contact information for AgO, let alone
detailed data, although they promised to get back to me.  The Energizer cells
actually have something like 190mAh capacity at very low rate so even in
standby use in a high drain OM4 they may still be as good or better than
Varta. Based on my discussions with Energizer on sealing and self discharge,
I am probably going to standardize on them unless I find out more detail from
other vendors.   I am going to avoid generic brand cells and vendors who do
not make there own cells based on leak concern/shelf life.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes