Re: [OM] OMs in Action

Subject: Re: [OM] OMs in Action
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:07:20 -0600
At 08:10 AM 6/29/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Garth Wood wrote:
>>
>> At 08:58 PM 6/28/2001 -0700, Barry Hinderks wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> >Garth & Chris O - didn't call 'cause I was at it from 7:30 AM the morning
>> >after I arrived until 11:00 PM the night before my flight!
>>
>> S'alright -- considering the things I've been going through in my life as of
>> late, I probably wouldn't have been very good company.
>>
>> >The images:
>> >        http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/9529/AF.1.jpg
>
>Is this the plane nicknamed the "Widowmaker" on account of its multiple
>crash record?

No, that would be the Lockheed CF-104 "Starfighter," a single-engine
needle-nosed brute with stubby triangular-shaped wings (with the tip of the
triangle "clipped").  If the engine failed, it had really crappy glide
characteristics (read: "NONE").  Went down like a brick.  Tended to be used a
lot by Canadian pilots in Western Europe during the Cold War for low-flying
sorties, and when the engine died...

Once met a Canadian Forces pilot who told me that out of his original flight
class, only he and one other guy were still alive.  All the others, supposedly,
had been lost in Starfighter accidents.  Have no idea how true this story is...

Garth