Re: [OM] Ebay creep warning

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay creep warning
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 08:01:05 -0600
At 11:20 PM 6/27/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I just sold an item on ebay, and after contacting the seller, I recieved the
>reply below. Just a warning for everybody to use the "official" ebay email
>links, and/or double check addresses. Is this sort of thing common? -Marcus
>

>>Hi
>>Listen we have a problem here
>>Look to the mail i received just a few minutes after the auction
>>ended:
>>
>>"I would like to congratulate you on being the winner for the Olympus OM-4
>>body Item #
>>1248354438.  The final price comes out to $131.50 USD and that includes
>>shipping and
>>insurance costs.  Please send a cashiers check or money order to:
>>
>>Pawel Panufnik
>>
>>Box 47097
>>62 Edmonton Centre P.O.
>>Edmonton, AB  T5J-4N1
>>Canada
>>
>>Thank you for the fast and easy transaction.  The item will be sent out the
>>day I
>>recieve your payment.
>>
>>Pawel"

Don't know the gent, but Edmonton Centre is a large retail/office complex in
downtown Edmonton, and the postal outlet's in the Value Drug Mart on the
concourse level.  Since I'm going to be downtown later today on an unrelated
affair, I could always drop by with a copy of this e-mail, explain the
potential problem, and ask for an investigation.

Mind you, I'd like to know a bit more, first.  It seems to me that this type of
fraud is extremely stupid, which leads me to believe that maybe it's some kind
of weird, albeit honest, mistake.

Garth