Re: [OM] Superzooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Superzooms
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 01:18:38 +0200
Yo,

on Wed, 20 Jun 2001 05:46:39 -0700 (PDT), mike blayney wrote:

>convenient (but heavier I presume). Tamron make a 28-200 f3.8/5.6 Super
>(Adaptall 2) - how does this compare with the average Zuiko? Are there others
>brands? Do any of you dare admit to using one?

I owned the older version of the Tamron. The results from it were
surprisingly good, but it has 2 setbacks: it only focuses down to 2.10 m
(the newer version is better in this respect), and what really drove me
crackers about it (and finally made me sell it) was that it focused "the
other way around" compared to my Zuikos and other lenses (in other words,
infinity on the Tamron was where all my other lenses have their closest
focus), so I would always start out turning in the wrong direction when
focusing, which often made me miss shots where timing was critical.

I just won a Soligor 35-200/3.8-4.8 on everybody's favorite auction site for
rather little money (approx. US $ 34.-; thought it might be worth a try for
that kind of dosh). When it comes in and I get around to testing it (not a
scientific lens test, just by using it), I'll report the results here if
y'all would like me to.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--