[OM] Qualifying local camera service for Olympus

Subject: [OM] Qualifying local camera service for Olympus
From: "Parzival Herzog" <parz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:15:16 -0500
I now have a new (used) OM4T and it is clean and good working order,
but my old OM2n is a mite dirty in the viewfinder. Nothing wrong
functionally though.

I am wondering about getting a CLA for the OM2n. Is that a good
idea? Is it worth it?

I live in Winnipeg Canada, which is located on the navel of North
America, 500 miles away from any other populated protuberance.

I would like to use a local shop. Since OM cameras are a bit rare,
I wonder about how I would establish the competence of the
local shop to  service the camera, and what risks I would be
running vis-a-vis sending the camera away to say Camtech.

I don't really relish the prospect of sending the camera
through two border crossings, risking high G forces, thieves
the exchange rate, the DEA on the way down, and the tax
collecter on the way back, so if a local shop can be trusted
to do the CLA competently, I would prefer to go that way.

Any advice?

Parzival.