Re: [OM] Qualifying local camera service for Olympus

Subject: Re: [OM] Qualifying local camera service for Olympus
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:32:13 EDT
In a message dated 6/27/01 9:16:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time, parz@xxxxxxxx
writes:

> I live in Winnipeg Canada, which is located on the navel of North
>  America, 500 miles away from any other populated protuberance.

Parzival, If you live on the navel, where does that put Texans???

I would call/ask around your "local" camera stores for their recommendations.
 You might hear one name being mentioned more than once.  Call/write/e-mail
that business and see what kind of response you get.  And/or
call/write/e-mail any and all camera repair facilities within your "local"
"navel" area.

I can understand your reluctance to go international, but surely there must
be a good service center/camera tech somewhere within the vast reaches of
Canada who could do a creditable job of a CLA for you, especially since you
are experiencing no problems, and just want a general CLA.  Maybe some of the
members in other areas (Chris O'Neill in Edmonton (e-mail chris@xxxxxxxxx) or
others up around the "waist" can make recommendations.

I just made my third or fourth purchase thru *Bay from Canada, and have
bought a couple items from fellow Canuck list members, and haven't
experienced a single problem yet.  Don't worry about the border crossings.
Thieves?  Insure.  Both postal services have done fine for me.  No problems
with Customs yet, knock on wood.  The stupid Canadian goods & services tax
would be what would bother me most about sending something down this way.

Is it a good idea?  As Curly would say, "Coitanly!"  Is it worth it?
Absolutely!  The 2N is one of the all time OM classics, mentioned as a
favorite body by some of the pillars of this list.  I just won one on *Bay,
and can't wait to fondle it.  It was described as "non-working", which could
mean anything from "needs new batteries" to "major repair", or even (gulp)
"unrepairable parts body".  So I, too, will need to send it off somewhere.
Fortunately for us down below the "navel", we have several choices for
repair/CLA, in several states, from coast to coast.  And no GST.

Pack it well if you ship/mail it.  Seal it in a plastic bag, then bubble wrap
it, then surround it with plastic "popcorn" inside a cardboard box.  Then
when the idiots in the post office throw the box, it'll be fine, cushioned
all around.

Please give us a report on what you decide to do and how it works out for
you.  I'm sure you're not the only list member who is somewhat intimidated at
the thought of mailing off such a valued possession.

Rich