[OM] Hello & Focussing Screen Question

Subject: [OM] Hello & Focussing Screen Question
From: B Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:17:58 +0100
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mike
You wrote
'I've recently purchased an OM1n and have just joined this list to
help me get up to speed on this camera.  I've noticed it's a rather
high volume list so I hope I'm going to be able to keep up with it.'

Its difficult!!

and then you said
'I've started with the 50mm f1.4 and the 500mm f8 mirror lenses.  I'm
intending to try using the 500mm for photographing birds.  The camera
came with the 1-13 screen fitted and also with a spare 1-13.  I find
that the image that the 500mm produces in the view-finder when using
this lens is not very bright at all and it is quite difficult to
judge an exact focus from the image on the matte area of the screen.
I'm wondering if I would find focussing the lens easier with a clear
screen or possibly with a Beattie screen.  Please can anyone advise? '

I also have the 50mm1.4 and the 500mm Zuiko reflex lens which I use with my OM2SP (along with several other lenses). I love the 50mm1.4 but also have some problems focussing the 500mm which I also use on occasion to photograph birds. Following earlier discussions on this list I acquired a 2-13 screen and am pleased with it. But it does not solve all problems, especially in lower light levels. Also, as I rarely carry a tripod even when I am walking/hiking with the 500mm in my bag, I tend to use a faster film than I might otherwise (eg ASA400) to allow me to rest the lens against a fence or tree. Last time I was photographing birds in flight (Turkey vultures??? soaring in PA, USA in May) I used a 135mm2.8 instead because I saw no chance of focussing with the 500mm lens which I also had with me.

Brian

UK
brian.gray@xxxxxxxxxxx