Re: [OM] Stray Light in the Viewfinder: OM-4Ti and OM-2SP today.

Subject: Re: [OM] Stray Light in the Viewfinder: OM-4Ti and OM-2SP today.
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 23:20:31 -0500
I suppose a more scientific approach would be to place the camera on a
tripod, cover the eyepiece with black vinyl tape, and use the aperture
and ASA to set the meter so it's just below the top "overexposure",
i.e., so one more click on the ASA and the meter begins to beep.  Then
remove the tape.  Move the ASA one click at a time until the meter
doesn't beep when the tape is removed and you'll get an idea of the
gross possible deviation due to light entering the eyepiece.  Of course,
there's lots of variables -- ambient light level, angle of acceptance,
etc.  But if you've got nothing else to do on a bright sunny day.... ;^)

re: the OM-1, 1n, 2, 2n, 10, G, etc., the problem is that the meter
display is controlled by a CdS cell located by the eyepiece -- light
entering the eyepiece is reflected directly into the cell.  This can
deflect the needle several stops in extreme cases!  On the OTF models in
Auto mode, though, (and this goes for the 4/2s as well) the sensor that
actually controls the exposure in Auto/Program is below the mirror, so
light entering the eyepiece has virtually no effect.